Sunday 20 July 2014

Stencilling on a budget part 2

Encouraged by my efforts at creating a budget embossing paste I've just finished trying it with glitter glue. As expected adding the talc made the mixture opaque, reduced colour to a pastel shade and had minimal glitter showing. It looks good though!
What could I use to thicken the mix enough so that it wouldn't just run under the stencil or collapse into a puddle when the stencil is lifted without compromising the transparency? Gelatine was my first thought, but that packet that I remember being in my kitchen cupboards must have gone out of date and been thrown because I just couldn't find it anywhere. OK..... think harder ........... I have gum Arabic or Tylose powder. I'm not really sure whether they are the same but I use Tylose powder to thicken roll out icing so it is easier to mould flowers without them losing their shape. However.... when mixed into glitter glue does it turn transparent? Only one way to find out. My first attempt was a disaster. I used about a quarter of a teaspoon in about two teaspoons of glitter glue and it just went into a lumpy mess. Second attempt and I added it very gradually, making sure to add in minute quantities (almost dusted in) and blend well each time. On my first, second and third attempts at stencilling with it, the results got gradually better. Fourth attempt ( and a fresh batch in gold) was just right. It needs to be quite gloopy. (If you've every made meringues you'll know what I mean when I say it needs to stand in peaks.) It retained transparency and didn't run.
The proof will really be in the drying but I am hopeful and will let you know soon how it turned out (with pictures). If it works, I will used the Tylose powder in with the /pearlescent paint to see if it works any better.

Fingers crossed !

Yve Jaye



No comments:

Post a Comment