Sunday 20 July 2014

Stencilling with embossing paste - on a budget

This week I have been thinking about Christmas cards and in particular this beautiful stag stencil. I saw it and just had to have it...... you know how it goes......right?!
Anyway...... I already had some embossing pastes from way back when Dreamweaver stencils first appeared on the market so I thought they'd be perfect to use.  Now ......... take a look at the images below. Do you notice any differences (aside from they are obviously facing in opposite directions)?


Another difference is ............the ones on the left are shinier because they are done with the Dreamweaver paste. The ones on the right are more of a matt finish but (and maybe this doesn't show too well) they do have a subtle shimmer.
Soooo........ is that all? you ask.... am I missing something?

Well ! not really except, the ones on the right are done with a paste I created myself at a fraction of the cost.
I used some cheap metallic paint available from most major supermarkets (bronze above and a glittery silver below) and I mixed it with PVA glue (binder) and .................................wait for it................................ talcum powder. Mix them all together to form the paste and "Bobs yer uncle" embossing paste on a budget. I am also going to try some other variations like glitter glues.
Since all the ingredients are for use with or on children I presume it to be non-toxic but I make no claims about that or about it being fire retardant. Having said that paper is flammable anyway so it seems a bit of a moot point.

SOOO.......If you like the idea of stencilling but can't afford the posh stuff have a try with this. I can't give you exact quantities but at a guess I would say 50/50 paint and PVA and just keep adding talc till it forms a paste. It doesn't want to be too runny or too firm. you'll just have to experiment with consistencies. The copper one has nice crisp edges because I did that firmer but the silver one was a bit runnier but it settled slightly which gave the edges a rounder finish.

OH ! and don't forget to store them in an airtight container.


Happy crafting!

Yve Jaye

No comments:

Post a Comment