Friday 31 May 2013

Mum's Birthday cake


This is a cake I made a couple of years ago for my Mum's 70th Birthday. Although I've made cakes before, this was (I think) the first I did which was not Royal Icing. The roses were all hand made by myself (they took ages!) and the '70' was printed from the computer and laid under baking parchment before being piped and filled in. The cake is a rich fruit cake made from a recipe which was handed down to me from my late Grandma and not forgetting the marzipan. I did cheat at that. Although I have made marzipan before I decided to go for the quick option and buy it in this once.
Unfortunately, making cakes is quite an expensive job, especially rich fruit cakes, so again I don't make these commercially and only do them for family gifts on special birthdays (better than spending a fortune on a present they either don't want or need).
Mmmn, just looking at this makes my mouth water but "I must RESIST" (with French accent). Weight and me are mortal enemies and we've been battling each other far too long!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That is beautiful. Is there anything you can't do? Lol.

    ReplyDelete