Sunday 26 May 2013

Titanic outfit

OK!
I told a friend that I would post a picture of an Edwardian dress and hat I made last year for an anniversary production of 'Titanic the musical'. This is the scrapbook page of the newspaper cuttings and show flyers. I am the one in black with the wide brimmed ostrich feather hat. The dress is in dark green velvet with a black lace overlay. The neckline, cuffs and lace hems were all in scalloped lace. It was supposed to have a high neckline but I thought it would be too warm for the stage so I did away with it, opting instead for a choker style necklace to replicate the high collar.
The hat was a pain to make! When I tried to fuse the taffeta and the buckram the taffeta buckled, so I ended up recovering it in crushed black velvet. Because of the thickness of the fabric I ended up with very sore finger tips. It was every inch worth it though. I think I can honestly say it was the most authentic outfit of the production and I felt every inch the elegance of the era.
Making the dress all came about because there was a recreation of the last meal on the Titanic pre-production party. I could have hired a dress for a fraction of what it cost me to make, but this was a once in a lifetime event for me and the dress is now my monument to my stage debut. Once I lacked courage to sing out loud. Now I embarass my daughter (and Mum) in supermarkets singing. I'm no longer afraid of making a complete idiot of myself and I have CONFIDENCE to do what I should have done years ago!!!

 Moral - It is never too late! Go for it!!

Yve

2 comments:

  1. Wowzer! Now that is what I call a talent. You look amazing. Ever thought of getting an application form for the Great British Sewing Bee?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It crossed my mind but I don't think I could stand the pressure. Wait till you see my daughters prom dress (currently in production). Although not as elaborate it will look stunning on her. We joke about her looking like a bar of Cadbury's chocolate because it's the same shade of purple and I might even send her picture to Cadbury's see what they think! I know I'm biased but she does have the looks, a darn good figure and long legs! LOL

      Delete